Good Things to Know

On-Street Parking

To facilitate snow removal, overnight parking on the street is prohibited between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. during the winter months: November 1 to April 15. Vehicles in violation of this ordinance are subject to ticketing and towing.

Driveway Clearing

Under New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, it is illegal to push, blow or plow snow onto any street. If your driveway is plowed by a private contractor, both you and the plow operator may be ticketed. Snow should be pushed to the left side of your driveway so that Town plows will not push it back into your driveway as they pass.

Trash Collection

Trash is collected in Roselawn on Fridays, but our collection day may be delayed by one day on the following holiday weeks:

  • New Years
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day (July 4th)
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas

Please put out waste containers late on the day before collection day, and put your containers away by evening on pick up day.

Our trash collection is administered by the Town of Brighton through a tax district. The town currently contracts the pickup service to Waste Management.

Containers are normally picked up at the curb, but Waste Management will pick up containers at your garage if you are unable to move them to the curb. Call Waste Management directly at 585-254-3500 if you require this service.

Poster for Monroe County's Recyclopedia

Upon request, Waste Management will pick up large items such as appliances, mattresses, carpet and building materials. Call Waste Management directly at 254-3500 to arrange pickup.

Waste Management supplies a bin for recycling the following materials:

  • paper and cardboard
  • glass containers
  • plastic containers
  • metal cans, pans, and foilware

Click here for an in-depth look at the Monroe County recycling guidelines.

Recycling can, large

While Waste Management only provides a single (small) recycling bin, you’re welcome to buy and use as many bins as you need. And they’re equally happy to accept your recycling in a can of up to 32 gallon capacity, as long as it’s clearly marked “Recycle”. The home improvement stores sell a 32-gallon Rubbermaid Recycling Bin that is perfect — the blue color and the recycling logo make it easy to spot, and it’s just the right size for a family. As a bonus, it has a lid to keep those light recyclables from blowing around the neighborhood!

Yard Debris

Collection is handled by the Town of Brighton Highway Department, and generally begins in mid-April. If you want to know when the town’s yard debris pickup crews will be working in Roselawn, check the map on this page of the town’s website:

The town’s guidelines for yard debris collection include:

  • Grass clippings are not collected. Brighton has a grass recycling program that encourages residents to either compost their clippings or simply leave them on the lawn. Town residents may drop off grass clippings for composting at the Highway Department, 1941 Elmwood Avenue.
  • Place brush, leaves, and garden debris at the curb in containers or paper bags not plastic bags or in a neatly stacked pile, no more than eight feet long, and free of sod, dirt, or wire.
  • Do not place debris in the road.
  • Do not mix household refuse with yard waste.

In 2016, the town added a “leaf vactor” to its fleet of yard debris collection equipment. For this giant leaf-eating vacuum cleaner to be effective, it is important that miscellaneous yard debris NOT be mixed into our leaf piles.

The town’s yard debris program is explained more fully in this 1-page PDF file.

Wood chips produced by processing collected brush are available at the Highway Department, 1941 Elmwood Avenue. Please bring your own container.

For more information, please call the Highway Department at 784-5280.

Pet Waste

Please use your own trash can to dispose of dog waste and any other trash you generate as you walk the neighborhood — not your neighbor’s garbage tote or lawn debris container, not your front yard, and not the storm sewers.

A poop bag deposited in a container of leaves or yard debris causes more serious problems than you might guess. Neither dog waste nor plastic are appropriate additions to the Town of Brighton’s mulch and compost making processes.

The solution to both of these problems is, fortunately, a simple one: just carry that bag of dog poop home with you and dispose of it in your own trash, not someone else’s trash, not the storm sewers, and not your front lawn. All public facing pet waste should be cleaned up immediately. Your neighbors will thank you!

Sidewalk Maintenance

For decades, sidewalk repairs and replacement were the responsibility of Brighton residents. In 1993, the town created a Consolidated Sidewalk District to provide for the current and future replacement of hazardous sidewalks in 26 neighborhoods. Today, a modest fee on our tax bills pays for the debt service on the bonds for the replacement program, as well as for the continuing repair program.

The town periodically inspects our sidewalks to insure that they are smooth and safe, but the Highway Department welcomes a call from you if you notice a safety problem. If you feel your sidewalk needs attention, please call 784-5280.

Streetlight Maintenance

The streetlights in Roselawn are maintained by Rochester Gas & Electric. If you notice that one of the streetlights near your home is out, please use RG&E’s online form to report the outage:

Periodically, all the streetlights on a block or in the neighborhood will fail to come on in the evening. If you notice that, you may alert RG&E; report the problem using the online form.

Pothole Repair

Report the location of a pothole (address and/or nearest cross street) to the Brighton Highway Department at 784-5280.

Storm Sewer Care

Storm drains remove surface water from Roselawn and help keep our streets from flooding and our basements dry. Please keep any storm drains on your property free of leaves and other blockages.

Unlike sanitary sewers, which deliver waste water from our homes to a sewage treatment plant, storm sewers connect Roselawn directly with our local waterways. Anything you allow into a storm drain goes directly into our water supply, so please never dump chemical waste or animal waste. Visit h2ohero.org to learn more.

Fire Hydrants

Give your hydrant a hand …and a shovel. A clearly visible, accessible fire hydrant can save your home …or even your life.

Please adopt the hydrant near your home and keep it clear of snow all winter. If a hydrant is buried, it takes a firefighter valuable time and energy to shovel it out to gain access while a fire continues to burn.

Minimally, make sure the hydrant is cleared of snow enough to be visible from the street.


In a neighborhood with modest lot sizes and homes in close proximity, consideration for our neighbors is all-important. The paragraph that follows is from the Town of Brighton’s noise ordinance:

No noise from parties, entertainment, music or social gatherings of any kind, whether public or private, shall be such that noise caused by and/or emanating from said use can be heard between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. the following day inside any residence, regardless of whether the windows of such residence are open, or at any other time if said noise is unnecessary or unreasonable under the circumstances.

from the Code of the Town of Brighton
Click here to read the town code online

Neighborhood Maintenance

The following items are some of the most often violated town regulations that affect property values in Brighton and the health and safety of our residents. You can help to enhance the appeal of Brighton by keeping them in mind as you plan projects or work around your house and yard.

Junk Vehicles

“Junk” vehicles are any ungaraged motor vehicles (motorcycles, cars, trucks, mobile homes, buses, etc.) that are unregistered and/or uninspected. Vehicles that are stored for a long period of time or have been abandoned present not only aesthetic issues, but also very real safety hazards. Junk vehicles are not permitted anywhere in Brighton.

Trash Pickup (Large Items)

Upon request, Waste Management will pick up large items such as appliances, mattresses, carpet and building materials. Call Waste Management directly at 254-3500 to arrange pickup. Remember also that trash should not be put out until the day prior to scheduled collection and trash containers must be removed from the front yard by the end of the day of pickup.


Lawns should not be allowed to grow taller than 6″ in height. All land must be kept free of accumulations of brush, dead trees, branches, trash, etc.

Campers & Trailers

Outside parking on residential lots of campers or other vehicles or trailers greater than 24′ in length OR 6′ in height is prohibited for longer than 72 hours within any four day period.

Front Yard Parking

Parking of vehicles on front yard grassed areas is not allowed.

Peeling Paint

Town code requires proper maintenance of exterior surfaces. If you feel that a property violates this requirement, call the Building and Planning Department at 784-5226; the department will ask an inspector to determine whether or not a violation has occurred.


Permits are required for fences, sheds, decks, air conditioners, generators, both in-ground and above-ground pools, and some roofing projects. Contact the Building & Planning Department at 784-5226 for further information.

Resolving Problems

If you have questions regarding property maintenance or building permits, please call the Building & Planning Department at 585-784-5221 or 585-784-5226. For property maintenance complaints call the code enforcement mailbox at 585-784-5370.